Next time you need a haircut, Enviro Girl encourages you to spring for a GOOD one–your investment will pay off HUGE eco-dividends. Everyone knows there is a vast difference between people who cut hair and people who CAN cut hair–and it’s the latter Enviro Girl is talking about in today’s post.
Years ago Enviro Girl found a woman who CAN cut hair–she gives Enviro Girl a GREAT haircut every 3 months or so. She charges $35 for that haircut–the sum of 2-3 bad haircuts at Cost Cutters or Dottie’s Cut n’ Curl. That $35 is worth every penny for the following reasons:
* A Great Haircut lasts longer–you get your money’s worth out of a quality cut and this reduces your trips to and from your stylist. Great haircuts should last 6-8 weeks easily. Enviro Girl can go 12-14 weeks between cuts, that’s how good her stylist is.
* Great Haircuts require less time spent styling, which leaves you more time to do stuff to save the planet–like compost, pick up litter and grow your own organic food.
* A Great Haircut requires less energy spent styling–Enviro Girl’s wash and wear haircut complements her hair’s texture and doesn’t require the assistance of an electric hairdryer, flat iron or curling devices. The worse the haircut, the greater your dependence on tools run by electricity.
* A Great Haircut requires less styling product. Enviro Girl literally uses a small dab of some eco-friendly gel to keep the frizzies at bay when things get hot and muggy in Wisconsin for half the year. The other half of the year she’s product-free–except for an occasional squirt of hairspray or dab of hand lotion to smooth the front a bit. She’s had her share of bad haircuts–and she can tell you that bad haircuts require a LOT of goop–hairspray, mousse, gel. And all that goop involves manufacturing, containing, shipping, only to get flushed down the drain. The environmentally-friendly head uses less product.
* A Great Haircut reduces the frequency of Bad Hair Days–and Bad Hair Days can wreck one’s attitude faster than PMS.
* A Great Haircut will suit your lifestyle and “look.” A stylist worth their chops will use your hair’s natural texture and tendencies to your advantage–they won’t steer you toward a trendy look or one that requires a daily battle against your permanent cowlick. They’ll suggest minimal maintenance rather than expensive upgrades (perms, highlights, lowlights, extensions, etc.).
Enviro Girl cannot exhort readers enough: Find a stylist and invest in a Great Haircut. Trouble finding a fabulous hair stylist? Envrio Girl suggests asking around–the best stylists have excellent word-of-mouth advertising–they don’t need to be listed in the Yellow Pages. If you see somebody with a hair cut you admire, ask who cuts their hair. Then book an appointment. Invest in a Great Haircut and feel good about doing your part to help save the planet today!