Enviro Girl has little patience for manufactured holidays because they stand for everything bad for the environment: waste, consumerism, pollution and packaging. She despises the aisles full of Valentine’s Day crap pitched at people–perfumes, stuffed animals, candy and heart-shaped trinkets. Her family only celebrates Valentine’s Day by default. Enviro Girl’s sons bring cards to their classmates and send cards to the grandparents. That’s it. But IF Enviro Girl’s husband were to suddenly get struck by Cupid’s arrow, here are ten loving gestures that she wouldn’t snub:1. Book a massage with a favorite spa/therapist. Or give a massage without expectations of a happy ending!
2. A book by a favorite author. No need to gift wrap, just slip it under the pillow, thanks.
3. A box of GOOD chocolates. Not Hershey’s or even Godiva. You know that place downtown that makes the great handmade candy–that one.
4. Make a reservation at a nice restaurant. Or make dinner yourself–and clean up the mess.
5. A high-quality, sustainably and locally created soy candle. (Specifically, “Homesick” by Eco Candle Co.)
6. A bottle of wine.
7. Take her out for coffee on a lazy Saturday morning. Splurge for the mega-mocha-latte and a scone while hanging out with a newspaper and each other. On the cheap? Make her coffee and bring it to her in bed–with the newspaper.
8. Theater tickets or concert tickets or movie tickets.
9. Flowers–even better if they’re grown without pesticides!
10. Write a poem. Even a heart-felt haiku will demonstrate more passion than your signature on sentiments written by the staff at Hallmark or American Greetings. List the things you love about her, write the story of how you fell in love, you could even write about the ways your love has changed.
It’s more about the gesture, isn’t it? It’s not about the “stuff.” If you absolutely must give your beloved something for Valentine’s Day, make it a sustainable, green and consumable gift. Don’t cave into the commercial pressure. Don’t spend a lot of money. Be creative and inspired when you declare your affection!