It’s that time of year–to celebrate dear ‘ol dad, and it is possible to show him he’s special without adding undue harm to the environment by buying a bunch of stuff. Here’s a list of eco-friendly Fathers Day gift ideas for whatever kind of dad you’re celebrating this June:
* Game tickets–splurge on box seats at a major league stadium or a day at a minor league park. If your dad’s a sports fan, hook him up with a couple of tickets to watch a team event.
* Local brew–whether a wine guy or a beer guy, introduce your father to a bottle or twelve-pack of something made in your region. Reduce his “beer miles” while supporting the local economy. Or try a nonalcoholic local brew by giving Dad fair trade coffee grounds.
* Treat your dad to a round of golf or a game of bowling. Quality time is more precious than a pair of socks or another new tie!
* Of course, if you are going to buy your dad socks, Enviro Girl recommends SmartWool socks for durability, sustainability and quality.
* If your pop’s not savvy to environmental issues, he probably would still enjoy a solar-powered phone charger because lowering electrical bills never goes out of style.
* Is your dad a grill guy? Enviro Girl wholeheartedly recommends a chimney starter for charcoal grillers–he’ll never need lighter fluid again! For advanced grillers, a package of woodchips or some locally produced marinades always impress!
* Music lovers always enjoy concert tickets, another great gift he’ll never need to dust or store.
* Enviro Girl has given her dad a new shrub for his yard. Not sure what a gardening kind of guy needs to add to his landscaping? A gift certificate to a local greenhouse or garden center is a good gift, too!
* Enviro Girl has also given her dad books for Fathers Day. He enjoys biographies best, or anything about business and investing.
Whether spending a LOT (like a day at a major league ballpark) or a little (bottle of local wine), it’s the thought that counts. Write your favorite memories of your father or serenade him with a song when you give him his eco-friendly Fathers Day present, because the sentiment matters most.