- Avoid fast starts.
- Use cruise control on the highway.
- Drive the speed limit. On average, driving every 5 mph over is like paying another 10 cents per gallon.
- Keep your engine tuned up and working properly.
- Share a ride when you can.
- Bundle your errands and never run just one at a time.
- When running errands, park your car and walk from one errand to another.
- Keep your tires properly inflated.
Image courtesy of the Mazda website. Recycla drives a Mazda 3 and gets 24 mpg (city), 37 (highway), and 31(lifetime average).